Saturday 21 July 2012




Symbolic Interaction Theory

The Symbolic Theory focuses on how belief and attitudes that shape our daily lives. I understand that we interact verbally and through gestures and body language. After viewing the content on this theory I understand why my niece would cry at a gesture I used when she was small and misbehave. When Jamealia was about two and she did anything wrong I would open my eyes wide and look at her from the corner of my eyes and she would start crying. When ask what happen she would say aunty look at me or aunty give me the eye and some time I would laugh at the point that she cries, but on the other hand she understand that what she is doing she must stop.

We live in a world of symbols. People use symbols for almost everything and we all act towards things on the basis of the meaning that they have assigned to them. When we see a pink ribbon on anything to us it means support women with breast cancer. As the theorist state “One of the most important shared meanings is known as the definition of the situation, that is, the way we perceive reality and react to it. In the case where relationship often break up because partner have different perceptions I can a test to that I was dating a man from a different country and we have so many different perceptions about thing and I just have to call it a day and move along. Thing that he does and says the way I see it or interpret it; he would always say that is not what I meant and it would cause a conflict between us and I could not deal with the constant conflict.

A popular symbol that I learn over the year is that when a man scratches female in the palm of her hands it signify that he wants to have sex with you. I understand from the theorist point that babies are not born with a predetermined ideas about who they are; they develop this through interaction with family members and even the wider society affect the way we act and behave because of the symbols link to certain things that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment